Michael Jackson’s death has been ruled a homicide and that could mean criminal charges for Dr. Conrad Murray.
One law enforcement official told the Associated Press that the singer had taken a cocktail of medications to treat his insomnia hours before he suffered a sudden cardiac arrest. A forensics test found his death was caused by a dose of propofol (a powerful anesthetic) that was acting with at least two other sedatives.
According to an arrest warrant affidavit, Conrad had spent the early hours of June 25 trying to get the singer to sleep using lorazapam and midazolam. When neither of those drugs worked, even after repeated injections, he gave Michael 25 mg of propofol at about 10:40 a.m. Conrad claims that he had actually been trying to wean Michael off of the propofol, but that the singer kept insisting on using it so he could get some rest.
The physician stayed with Michael about 10 minutes after he administered the drug, which Michael referred to as his “milk,” and then went to use the bathroom. When he came back he saw that his patient had stopped breathing.
The warrant, unsealed on Monday, states that deadly levels of propofol were found in Michael’s system. Several other substances were also found in his body during a toxicology test, but the source said that those are not believed to have contributed to his death
– Sonya Eskridge