After a recent interview with CNN Falcon Henne has people speculating that Thursday’s horrifying balloon chase was a hoax.
After a recent interview with CNN, 6-year-old Falcon Henne, who was believed to be in danger while trapped inside a floating homemade helium balloon, stated that the whole incident was a hoax.
“You guys said that we did this for the show,” the boy said on air in response to his father’s question about why he had not said anything while they were calling his name.
This statement raised questions about whether this whole thing was just a publicity stunt for the Colorado family, who shoots video of their storm chases for a living. Even interviewer Wolf Blitzer started to probe the parents, Richard and Mayumi Heene, about the boy’s answer.
Falcon’s family maintains that this was not a hoax, and a local police officer who initially responded to their call said he feels the Heenes are telling the truth. He noted that the concern he saw from them while they were searching for Falcon, who was hiding in a box in the attic the whole time, seemed sincere.
Mayumi and Richard notified authorities after Falcon’s brother had told them he saw the boy climbing through the door on the balloon.
Millions of people watched in horror as the silver, saucer-shaped balloon traveled across the sky yesterday. After a long chase, officials deflated the aircraft and brought it down softly. Since then, the parents have expressed how elated they are that the whole situation is over and that Falcon is okay.
Currently, the Heenes are scheduled to meet with authorities again to answer more questions in regards to this being a hoax. This doesn’t seem like a far-fetched accusation for the family who have appeared twice on ABC’s “Wife Swap.” They’ve also posted videos of their sons rapping and using profanity on YouTube. If found guilty, the Heenes could be charged with a misdemeanor.
– Sophia Adem