NBA season suspended

    Comments: 0  | Leave A Comment

    The NBA season will be getting off to a late start this year, as the league lockout continue.

    NBA.com reports that NBA Commissioner David Stern announced that the first two weeks of the season have been canceled.

    This comes after two days of unsuccessful negotiations as players and team owners could not reach an agreement on a new labor deal. Other recent lockouts, such as with the NFL, have been dodged by last-minute agreements. Unfortunately, the NBA wasn’t spared by similar 11th hour deals.

    The dispute hinges on how the basketball related income (BRI) is divided up among the players and owners. As it stands, the athletes get 57 percent of the BRI and owners get 43 percent. The owners wanted to adjust that to a 50/50 split. When players resisted that arrangement, owners then said they 53 percent of the BRI and give the remaining 47 percent to the players.

    When the two sides couldn’t strike a deal last night, David decided that the first two weeks of the season would be axed from the schedule. More of the schedule could be on the chopping block, though, if no agreement is reached.

    Players had a mixed reaction to the suspension. Lebron James took on a very apologetic tone when he tweeted, “I wanna sincerely say sorry to all the fans. It’s a sad day for all of us, especially u guys! There’s no US w/o You. #loveuguys.”

    Carmelo Anthony also gave his sincerest regrets. “I just wanna apologize to all the fans for this lockout,” he tweeted. “Trust me, I feel y’all pain. This s*!t sucks.” He later had to check fans who were blaming players for the lock out by writing, “Last thing.It bothers me to hear people talk about things they know nothing about!!!”

    Meanwhile, Dwyane Wade blamed David for putting a lot of people out of work with his decision. “STERN’s ‘WORDS’ 2dayhurt the ppl who work at the AAA [American Airlines Arena], other [arenas], as well as local businesses &our fans,” Dwyane tweeted. “Those are the one’s who are affected by STERN’s ‘WORDS’2day..its a Lockout-NOT a Strike.”

     

     

    —Sonya Eskridge

     

     

     

    Here’s more:
    LeBron picks Miami

    Tags: » » »

    Comments

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>