The cause of Amy Winehouse’s death has been revealed, and her demised lay at the bottom of a bottle.
A British coroner ruled earlier today that the singer died of accidental alcohol poisoning, the Associated Press reports.
"The unintended consequence of such potentially fatal levels (of alcohol) was her sudden and unexpected death,"coroner Suzanne Greenway said in a statement.
Amy was found dead in her London bedroom on July 23 at the age of 27. No illegal drugs were found in her system after an autopsy. Her blood-alcohol level was more than five times the legal limit, however.
Investigators called to the scene of Amy’s death noted that there were a number of empty vodka bottles were found strewn about the room.
Amy had long struggled with substance abuse and had even been to a rehabilitation facility for treatment. Dr. Christina Romete, the singer’s physician, said that Amy had been sober for a time, but unfortunately began drinking again in the days leading up to her untimely death.
Christina said that Amy seemed "tipsy but calm" the night before she passed and had even spoken about her 28th birthday, which would have been September 14.
A rep for Amy’s family said that they are relieved to know what did Amy in, though they are still agonizing the fact that the singer ultimately drank herself to death. "The court heard that Amy was battling hard to conquer her problems with alcohol," the rep stated, "and it is a source of great pain to us that she could not win in time."
Amy Winehouse’s death boosts sales