George Zimmerman to seek bail

    George Zimmerman didn’t not enter a plea to second-degree murder charges, but he plans to seek bail.

    His lawyer, Mark O’Mara, told reporters that the neighborhood watch member will seek bail on April 20.  
     
    George attended his first hearing, which only lasted for four minutes, in the John E. Polk Correctional Facility’s courtroom. He is charges with second-degree murder in the shooting death of Trayvon Martin, an unarmed Florida teen.
     
    George did not enter a plea during the hearing, although his lawyer previously said that he would plead not guilty.
     
    Judge Mark Herr, who spoke via a closed-circuit television connection during the hearing, scheduled a formal arraignment for May 29. That’s when George will be able to enter a plea.
     
    Judge Herr told George that Circuit Court Judge Jessica Recksiedler would handle all matters, including bond and further motions in the case.
     
    Mark said that he wanted George to be released on bond once he could find a safe place for him to stay. Getting his client bond is a priority for Mark because it will most likely take at least six months, and possibly a year, before the trial.
     
    A hearing will be held on April 20 to determine if he will be allowed to post bail and leave jail, Mark told the Associated Press.
     
    “He is tired. He has gone through some tribulations,” said Mark. “He is facing second-degree murder charges now. He is frightened. That would frighten any of us.”
     
    Mark said George is worried about getting a fair trial in Sanford, Florida, but Mark isn’t concerned. "Florida has a very good process in place to make sure we get a fair and impartial jury," he told CNN. "I trust that the system, the judge, the prosecutor and I will be able to, should the need arise, to get ourselves a fair and impartial jury to hear the case. It may not be in Seminole County."
     
    Mark also expects to ask the judge for a hearing on Florida’s Stand Your Ground self-defense law.
     
    “It is going to be a facet of this defense, I’m sure,” he said. “That statute has some troublesome portions to it, and we’re now going to have some conversations and discussions about it as a state. But right now it is the law of Florida and it is the law that is going to have an impact on this case.”
     
    George has been separated from the general prison population and is currently staying in a 67-square-foot cell with a toilet and two beds. He has no roommate because of the “high profile nature” of the case, according to the Seminole County Sheriff’s Office.
     
    He is getting three meals a day. The meals began at 4 a.m. for breakfast, 10:30 a.m. for lunch, and 4 p.m. for dinner.  
     
    According to the sheriff’s office he has purchased $79.84 worth of toiletries, undergarments and snacks. He has bought Jolly Ranchers, “beef sticks,” tortilla chips, root beer, contact lens solution, playing cards, cross word and word search puzzle books, shampoo and other toiletries. His account balance is down to $41.16, according to his commissary order released by officials.  
     
    If convicted, George could face 25 years in prison to life.

     

     

    —Glynnesha Taylor

     

     

     

    Here’s more:
    George Zimmerman to be charged

    Trayvon Martin shooter wasn’t screaming on 911 tape
    Enhanced audio of George Zimmerman’s 911 call released

    Tags: »

    Comments

    blog comments powered by Disqus