Florida man loses life after winning cockroach-eating contest

    Some things just aren’t for digesting, and a Florida man learned that the hard way after winning a cockroach-eating contest and then losing his life.

    The competition took place Friday night and Edward Archbold, 32, was declared the winner after swallowing dozens of the insects.

    Not so surprisingly, the champion started to complain of stomach pains and began to vomit after the contest. He collapsed and was pronounced dead shortly thereafter, according to NBC News.

    “We all liked him right away. All of us here at Ben Siegel Reptiles are sad that we will not get to know Eddie better,” read a post from the company that provided Eddie’s last meal.

    Eddie reportedly also entered a worm-eating contest that same night. “…im NOW in a super worm eating comp now…….what ever the hell a super worm is?” he wrote on his Facebook wall.

    While Americans don’t normally dine on insects, they are considered normal cuisine in some parts of the globe.

    “The consumption of insects is widely accepted throughout the world, and the insects presented as part of the contest were taken from an inventory of insects that are safely and domestically raised in a controlled environment as food for reptiles,” attorney Luke Lirot told NBC.

    It’s still unclear exactly what caused Eddie’s premature death.

    “Unless the roaches were contaminated with some bacteria or other pathogens, I don’t think that cockroaches would be unsafe to eat,” said professor of entomology Michael Adams.

    Get more on the story below. Watch.


     

     

    —Tracy L. Scott

     

     

    Here’s more:
    Woman unknowingly wed her father
    Elderly woman dragged by cop after traffic stop
    Mother stabbed by lover over HIV status
    Mother kills toddler in murder-suicide
    Mom beats sons’ alleged abuser with bat

    Tags: »

    Comments

    blog comments powered by Disqus