Lemon Bars with Meringue
2 cups flour
½ cup confectioners’ sugar, plus more for topping
2 sticks butter
2 cups granulated sugar
6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons lemon zest
2 egg whites
4 tablespoons sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 9x13x2” pan.
2. In a medium bowl, sift flour and powdered sugar together. Cut in butter until well blended. Press mixture over bottom of the 9x13x2” pan. Bake about 15 minutes until lightly browned.
3. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, make the filling by beating the eggs, granulated sugar, flour, lemon zest and lemon juice. Pour mixture over the baked crust and bake for 25 minutes.
4. For the meringue, beat egg whites until frothy; gradually add sugar, continuing to beat until stiff peaks form. Fold in vanilla extract. Spoon meringue onto lemon bars and brown under the broiler. Check constantly until desired browning is achieved.
5. Refrigerate until cooled through, then cut into desired bar size and serve cold.