The Northern Star Co., makers of the Simply Potatoes line of frozen foods, is recalling six of their products because of possible Listeria monocytogenes bacteria.
The company released an official statement last week saying that a few of their products, mostly frozen hash browns, might be infected after package of Simply Potatoes Southwest Style Hash Browns tested positive for the bacteria.
Listeria monocytogenes bacteria, usually referred to as just Listeria bacteria, causes listeriosis which causes fever, muscle aches, and stomach issues like nausea or diarrhea, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Older people, expectant mothers, newborns and adults with weakened immune systems are the most at-risk for contracting the infection.
The following products, if containing a "use by" date between March 29 and April 3 of this year, should be thrown away:
- Simply Potatoes Shredded Hash Browns – 20 oz. bag
- Simply Potatoes Southwest Style Hash Browns – 20 oz. bag
- Simply Potatoes Homestyle Slices – 20 oz. bag
- Simply Potatoes Red Potato Wedges – 20 oz. bag
- Diner’s Choice Shredded Hash Browns – 2 lb. bag
- Farm Fresh Shredded Hash Browns – 16 oz. bag
If you have purchased one of these products, you are eligible for a refund from the retail outlet. For other questions or concerns about Northern Star or Simply Potatoes, the manufacturers can be reached at 1-800-228-8105, or on their website.
– Whitney Teal