The whole world, it seems, is up in arms over Michelle Obama’s penchant for sleeveless dresses. Fashion blogs and even the New York Times have devoted precious time to discussing whether the first lady should go sleeveless so often and what her styling choices say about her personality, her husband and their administration.
While we don’t profess to care very much about whether it’s right or wrong for Lady O to show off her guns, we can certainly appreciate a well-dressed woman intent on flaunting her best asset. With that in mind, here are our favorite Michelle looks, minus the sleeves.
1. The Official White House Portrait, dress by Michael Kors. This American-designed dress is simple, understated and impeccably fit.
Some argue that her bare arms are inappropriate for such an official photo. To that we counter: when did the arms become a private body part reserved only for casual occasions?
2. "The View," dress by White House|Black Market. Who can forget her appearance on ABC’s "The View?"
When Michelle announced that she purchased her chic sundress off the rack, it sent the retail chain into a frenzy. The dress, which cost a little over $100, quickly sold out.
3. Stevie Wonder’s Gershwin Prize ceremony, dress by Kai Milla. This elegant, sexy, emerald green dress was perfect for the occasion.
Not just because it showed off the first lady’s amazing biceps — it was also designed by Stevie Wonder’s wife, Kai Milla.
4. White House dinner for National Governors Association, dress by Peter Soronen. This gown was stunning, full of sparkles and completely bare-shouldered.
From the looks of things, Michelle’s definitely not afraid of push-ups.
5. President Obama’s Address to Congress, dress by Narciso Rodriguez. What other color is more fitting for Michelle than regal plum?
Amazingly chic and sophisticated, in our opinion it was just right for the event (even if it was freezing in Washington that night!).
What about you? What are your favorite looks from Michelle O?
– Whitney Teal